Sunday, January 14, 2007

Neighbors

I have lived in my home for over 8 years and barely know most of my neighbors. There are various reasons for this, one being they are mostly commuters traveling back and forth between here and their jobs in Tysons Corner, Arlington, Alexandria or DC. The second being the fast rate of turnover. You see people move in, and before you can get to know them, they have moved on again.

But there are a few neighbors who I have gotten to know. One is a drug rehab treatment center employee, another is an internal auditor for the IRS.

Several are police officers in either Prince William County or neighboring Fairfax. One however is very interesting. I don't see him much because he travels most of the time. I don't know what his exact title or function is or who exactly he works for but he is a technical supervisor for a broadcasting company. He has the unenviable job of supervising the technical aspects of such evens as the NIT, the NCAA, the Superbowl, the world series, the Masters, etc. He also does political conventions. I saw him the other day as he was packing up his pickup to head out for yet another assignment, actually two assignments, the first being the inauguration of the Governor of Pennsylvania and the second being the Superbowl.

I asked him if he was in the broadcast credits and he acknowledged that he was. I asked him if I would see him on screen, he said yes, ground level on the fifty-yard line, but he didn't say which side of the field.

He has a very tough life, and being the inconsiderate fellow he is, he didn't even offer to take me along with him. Ah well, I will have to find some way to ingratiate myself with him, so that maybe next time he will extend an offer. Yeah, Right!!!

No comments: